Repro Roundup: Pregnant women more likely to die from COVID-19
Welcome to my column, The Repro Roundup, in which I summarize abortion news happening around the country, why it matters, and what you can do about it — in 250 words or less.
What’s the issue? According to a new study released by the Center for Disease Control, pregnant women who contract COVID-19 are more likely to die than women who are not pregnant. This is a major development from their last study in which they had no hard evidence yet that coronavirus was more deadly for pregnant women. The CDC analyzed 400,000 women with the virus aged 15–44 years old and measured the rate of ICU admittance, ventilation, oxygenation levels, and death. Pregnant women with COVID-19 were almost four times as likely to require ventilation and twice as likely to die than women who were not pregnant.
Why does this matter? It comes as no surprise that this pandemic is a matter of reproductive justice. Women have been disproportionately removed from the workforce, either by choice, by necessity, or due to layoffs and thus have less access to healthcare that includes reproductive care. With the increased likelihood of pregnancy during the pandemic and an already extremely high maternal mortality rate for Black women who are disproportionately affected by the virus, the ability to access abortion care is crucial. It’s increasingly challenging for women who may be quarantined with abuse partners. Throw in multiple attempts from anti-choice lawmakers to deem abortion care nonessential, women who are pregnant and don’t want to be are at extreme risk of death.
What action can I take?
- Wash your hands, wear a mask, and social distance
- Read the full CDC study here
- Donate to Abortion Care Network, an organization that helps independent clinics — where 2/3 of people will obtain abortion care — survive during the pandemic
- Locate your nearest abortion clinic at covidabortion.com or text 202.883.4620
- Sign this petition from National Women’s Health Network urging the FDA to mail the abortion pill
- Subscribe to The Repro Queen of DC, my monthly newsletter on abortion access, activism, and writing on the frontlines of DC.
- Subscribe to Repro 101, a seven-week educational email series about all things repro. Topics include the basics of funding abortion, clinic escorting, anti-choice violence, and more.
- Read more of my work, browse the services I offer, and more.
- Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook or get in touch.