Repro Roundup: Colorado’s anti-abortion proposition on the ballot
Welcome to my column, The Repro Roundup, where I summarize abortion news happening around the country, why it matters, and what you can do about it — in 250 words or less.
What’s the issue? On November 3rd, Coloradans will vote whether to enact a 22-week abortion ban. Colorado is one of the very few places in this country where a person can get an abortion later in pregnancy. Abortions later in pregnancy account for less than 1% of all abortions and only occur when the pregnant person’s health is in serious danger or the fetus is incompatible with life with no exceptions, even for rape. People travel hundreds of miles to Colorado to access care there and a 22-week abortion ban would harm thousands of people who need it. Additionally, the bill criminalizes providers who give care after 22 weeks.
Why does this matter? If this proposition is passed in November, it gives anti-abortion politicians leverage to ban abortion outright in the state. Additionally, one-size-fits-all measures like this are extremely dangerous and disproportionately affect women of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, and poor families.
How can I take action?
- Pledge to Vote No on Nov. 3
- Follow Abortion Access 4 All CO
- Volunteer with Students Vote No CO
- Donate to the Cobalt Abortion Fund
- Text or Phonebank against Prop 115
- Donate to the No on 115 campaign
- Follow the slew of college student accounts on Instagram for first-hand testimonials and action items: studentsno11, 5no115cudenver, no115cc, no115csu, no115cuboulder, no115unco, no115unidenver, no115wcu, and no115msudenver
- Purchase a Vote No 115 yard-sign
- Read this op-ed from a cardiologist on why he is voting no and why everyone should too
- Read this article on why 130 faith leaders are publically opposing prop 115
- Subscribe to The Repro Queen of DC, my monthly newsletter on abortion access, activism, and writing on the frontlines of DC.
- Subscribe to Repro 101, a seven-week educational email series about all things repro. Topics include the basics of funding abortion, clinic escorting, anti-choice violence, and more.